Quick and easy, 30 minute Black Beans and Lime Rice! With a few simple ingredients you’ve got a great week night dinner, and leftovers make for an ideal lunch!
The beans are perfectly spiced with cumin, paprika and optional cayenne. The lime rice adds an authentic ‘gotta have it taste’, and a handful of cilantro completes the bowl! Gluten-free!
Where do I begin with such a simply, complex bowl of rice and beans? I mean, there are so many bean and rice recipes on the web it’ll make your head spin trying to find the perfect one. Trust me I was once there. That is, until I created this 30 minute Black Beans and Lime Rice.
It has that ‘gotta have it taste’, that’ll have you coming back for more!
30 Minute Black Beans and Lime Rice
I’ve made 30 minute Black Beans and Lime Rice countless times for my family. When I feel extra lazy, I’ll toss all the black bean ingredients (except the corn, I’ll add that about 15 minutes into cooking) into a large saucepan. Allow everything to simmer on low for 20-25 minutes, or until the onion is cooked.
Now I don’t know about you, but I want to eat the whole bean not just the skin. So to avoid this, I allow the onion to cook a bit before adding the canned beans.
–Precooked dried beans should do fine the full 20-25 minutes–
For more flavor, add bit of juice from the beans and top your bowl with a handful of cilantro and fresh squeezed lime juice. Serve with a side of your favorite tortilla chips.
Yields 4 servings
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
2 (15.5 oz.) cans low sodium organic black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups veggie broth
2/3 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons pink salt
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2/3 cup organic corn
Optional cayenne pepper to taste
2 cups uncooked organic brown rice
Juice of 2-3 limes
Fresh organic cilantro
Organic lime wedges
- Cook the rice according to the package or your rice cooker.
- Once the rice has fully cooked, squeeze in 2-3 limes and mix.
- In a large saucepan, simmer the broth, water, diced onion, minced garlic and seasonings for about 8 minutes.
- Now add the beans and corn. Continue simmering for another 15 min.
- If needed, adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add 1 cup of cooked rice to your bowl.
- With a slotted spoon, scoop about a cup of bean mixture to your bowl of rice and mix in.
- Serve with extra lime wedges, plenty of cilantro and a side of organic tortilla chips.
Cayenne Note: If you have spicy and non-spicy eaters, individually mix the cayenne pepper to each bowl before serving.
*Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made via my affiliate links support more great content on this site.