Vegan Tortilla Soup with Jalapeño Cashew-Queso
Holy Goodness! This is the best vegan tortilla soup ever! I ate 2 bowls right away. The blended tomato, onion, garlic and seasonings create an authentic tasting base. And the toppings? Who could resist avocado and jalapeño queso in their tortilla soup!?
If you are looking for an easy prep, tortilla soup, this is it. The tomatoey base is paired perfectly with black beans, rice, spinach and optional corn to create that restaurant quality taste.
Serve topped with cheezy jalapeño cashew-queso, cubed avocado and crispy tortilla strips.
Don’t forget to share the recipe and leave a comment, I would love to hear from you! Also, never miss out on a 😋 mouth-watering recipe 😋 remember to subscribe to our newsletter! 📩
Serves Serves 4-6
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
6-8 corn tortillas
5 cups + 2 Tablespoons veggie broth, divided
1 large onion, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 cup brown rice, rinsed
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup organic corn, frozen
2 handfuls fresh spinach, optional
3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked
1/2 cup water
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1-2 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 small Jalapeño or 1/2 a large*
Fresh lime juice
- Preheat your oven to 400º. Cut the tortillas into thin strips. Then cut crosswise to shorten. Place the strips on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season with a few pinches of salt. Bake for 10-15 min or until crispy.
- In a large soup pot, over medium heat, cook the onion and garlic with 2 Tablespoons veggie broth, until softened. (5-7 min)
- Once the veggies have softened add 2 cups of broth, tomatoes and the seasonings to your pot.
- Using an immersion blender puree the soup. (or transfer to a traditional blender)
- Add the remaining 3 cups broth, rice, and beans to the pot. Cover and simmer on low for 30-40 min. Stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach (and/or frozen corn) a few minutes before serving.
- Serve topped with tortilla strips, avocado, jalapeño cashew-queso, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
- Over medium heat, boil enough water to cover the cashew. Once boiling, turn off, add the cashews and soak 15 min. (I do this step first and allow the cashews to soak while I prep the soup)
- Place all your ingredients into a high speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- Stores for up to 7 days in the refrigerator.
Jalapeño Note: For a more mild queso, remove the jalapeño seeds.