Need a quick and easy dinner the whole family will love? Try this Baked BBQ Tofu with Caramelized Onions recipe – it won’t disappoint! Add avocado and really enhance the taste!
With Fall in full swing, the nights are becoming shorter and colder. Baked BBQ Tofu sounded like a simple, warm and filling dinner. This BBQ Tofu with Caramelized Onions recipe has become a weekly request for the family.
My daughter loves it with an extra side of BBQ sauce for dipping. And if there are any leftovers, I store them in an airtight container. The tofu and rice save well for my daughter’s lunch the next day.
Baked BBQ Tofu
This ‘ready in under an hour’ recipe can be topped with– green onions, avocado, parsley, etc. Drizzle with extra barbecue sauce and serve with a side of your favorite steamed vegetables. Dinner is done!
I enjoy this baked BBQ tofu topped with green onions and an entire avocado diced up. I’m an avocado lover!
Adding diced avocado really kicks this bbq tofu up a notch
The rich, buttery avocado enhances the flavors of the smoky BBQ sauce and sweet caramelized onions. With such flavor combinations, this dish becomes a scrumptious plant-based meal to rival any BBQ tofu recipe!
• • •
More Vegan Entrée Ideas
We’d love to hear from you!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a 5-star rating in the recipe card and share your thoughts in the comments below. Also, if you snap a photo be sure to share it with us! We love to see your creations! You can find us on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram.
- 1 block firm or extra firm organic tofu
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup of BBQ Sauce, see note
- 1 large vidalia or yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups Basmati rice*
Optional Organic Toppings
- Green onions
Drain and press the tofu
- (This is where a tofu press really comes in handy!) Otherwise, wrap the tofu in a clean kitchen towel or a few paper towels. Place the wrapped tofu on a plate or shallow dish and add a heavy book or pan on top. (Careful not to place too heavy of an object on the tofu or it may smash it.) Leave for 5-10 min to press the excess water out of the tofu.
- Cut the tofu into roughly 1 and 1/2-inch pieces with about 3/4-inch thickness.
Prep the BBQ Tofu
- While the tofu is being pressed, preheat oven to 375º.
- Add half of the BBQ sauce to an 8x8 baking dish and spread evenly across the bottom of the dish. Place your tofu pieces in a single layer on the BBQ sauce and pour the other half over the tofu. Let marinate for about 5-10 min while you prep the rice.
- Rinse and cook your rice according to the package.
Bake the BBQ Tofu
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the tofu on the parchment paper. You can do this by hand or using a fork.
- Using a rubber spatula, gather the remaining BBQ sauce. Top each tofu piece with a small amount of the remaining sauce.
- Bake the tofu in the oven at 375º for 20-25 min. _If the tofu is too wet after 25 minutes, bake for another 5-10 minutes or until dried to your liking.
While the tofu is baking, prep the onion and garlic.
- In a large pan add about a teaspoon of oil and place over medium-low heat.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and stir to coat with oil. Spread the onions across the pan and allow them to cook for about 1-2 minutes before stirring.
- Cook for another15-20 min or until the onions are golden brown and caramelized. Stir just enough to keep the onions from burning.
- Serve Immediately.
- Top with green onions, avocado, and a drizzle of BBQ sauce.
- Serve with a side of your favorite vegetable.
- Baking Tofu Note: If you find your tofu is too moist after cutting it, pre-bake it in the oven for 10-15 minutes. This will remove a bit of excess moisture. Let the tofu cool to the touch, then proceed to add the BBQ sauce.
- If you find the BBQ glazed tofu to still be moist after cooking, you can ditch the parchemnt and bake it right on the pan. I've found it bakes best on a cast iron griddle.
- For the rice: You can use any rice you have on hand. I prefer basmati, jasmine, or sometimes even sushi rice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 serving Serving Size: 4 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 677 Total Fat: 45g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 34g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 38mg Carbohydrates: 33g Fiber: 16g Sugar: 10g Protein: 51g
*BBQ Sauce Note: I use 1/4 cup Organicville brand BBQ Sauce and 1/4 cup of my homemade BBQ Sauce, recipe below.
BBQ Sauce Recipe:
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
3 Tbsp. coconut sugar
2 Tbsp. molasses
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1-2 Tbsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
1/2 to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
3/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
Add garlic to a saucepan and sauté with a drop of oil for a few minutes. Then add in the rest of your ingredients and whisk to combine. Adjust seasonings to taste. Cook on medium heat until the sauce begins to simmer, whisking occasionally. Once simmering, turn the heat down so the sauce stays at a low simmer; continue whisking occasionally. Simmer for about 30 min or until the sauce is desired thickness and the flavors have come together. Adjust seasonings as needed.