Vegan Tortilla Soup with Jalapeño Cashew-Queso
Holy Goodness! This is the best vegan tortilla soup ever! I ate 2 bowls right away. The blended tomato, onion, garlic and seasonings create an authentic tasting base. And the toppings? Who could resist avocado and jalapeño queso in their tortilla soup!?
If you are looking for an easy prep, tortilla soup, this is it. The tomatoey base is paired perfectly with black beans, rice, spinach and optional corn to create that restaurant quality taste.
Serve topped with cheezy jalapeño cashew-queso, cubed avocado and crispy tortilla strips.
For more winter warming soups head on over to this hearty and super easy vegan potato corn chowder. You’ll love it!
Or try this One-Pot Veggie Wild Rice Soup. It’s loaded with goodies and always a favorite!
Flavorful tortilla soup topped with spicy cashew queso, fresh diced avocado, homemade crispy tortilla strips and fresh cilantro. Add a squeeze of lime juice to give this soup that 'gotta have it' taste!
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
Yields 4 bowls
6-8 corn tortillas
5 cups + 2 Tablespoons veggie broth, divided
1 large onion, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 cup organic brown rice
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup organic corn, frozen
2 handfuls fresh spinach, optional
3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked
1/2 cup water
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1-2 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 small Jalapeño or 1/2 a large*
Fresh lime juice
- Preheat your oven to 400º. Cut the tortillas into thin strips. Then cut crosswise to shorten. Place the strips on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season with a few pinches of salt. Bake for 10-15 min or until crispy.
- In a large soup pot, over medium heat, cook the onion and garlic with 2 Tablespoons veggie broth, until softened. (5-7 min)
- Once the veggies have softened add 2 cups of broth, tomatoes and the seasonings to your pot.
- Using an immersion blender puree the soup. (or transfer to a traditional blender)
- Add in the remaining 3 cups broth, rice, and beans to the pot. Cover and simmer on low for 30-40 min. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the spinach and frozen corn.
- Pour boiling water over the cashews and allow to soak for 15 min. (I do this step first and allow the cashews to soak while I prep the soup)
- Place the queso ingredients into a high speed blender and bend until smooth and creamy.
- Stores for up to 7 days in the refrigerator.
- Serve topped with jalapeño cashew-queso, tortilla strips, diced avocado, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
*Jalapeño Note: For a mild queso, remove the jalapeño seeds.