Vegan tortilla soup can be prepared in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop. This flavorful soup is made with black beans, sweet corn, and brown rice. Top your bowl with spicy cashew queso, diced avocado, homemade crispy tortilla strips, and fresh cilantro. This vegan soup is always a hit!
Vegan Tortilla Soup with Jalapeño Cashew-Queso
This is the best vegan tortilla soup ever!
I ate 2 bowls right away. The blended tomato, onion, garlic, and seasonings create an authentic tasting base.
And the toppings? Who could resist avocado and jalapeño queso in their tortilla soup!? No One!
If you are looking for an easy to prepare tortilla soup, this is it.
The tomato base pairs perfectly with the black beans, brown rice, corn, and optional spinach creating a restaurant-quality taste.
Serve topped with spicy jalapeño cashew-queso, cubed avocado, and crispy tortilla strips.
For more winter warming soups head on over to this hearty and super easy vegan potato corn chowder. You'll love it!
Or try this One-Pot Veggie Wild Rice Soup. It's loaded with goodies and always a favorite!
We'd love to hear from you!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a 5-star rating in the recipe card and share your thoughts in the comments below. Also, if you snap a photo be sure to share it with us! We love to see your creations! You can find us on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram.
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 small Jalapeño, diced
- 6-8 corn tortillas , cut into strips
- 5 cups + 2 Tablespoons veggie broth, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn (frozen , fresh, or canned)
- 1/4 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, or to taste
- 1/3 teaspoon paprika
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach, optional
- Homemade tortilla strips
- Jalapeño cashew queso (recipe above)
- Diced avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Freshly squeezed lime juice
- The first step to making this soup is soaking the cashews. Refer to my "soaking cashews 3 ways" post for a method that works for you.
- While the cashews soak, prep the soup with the below instructions.
- Place the soaked cashews along with the remaining queso ingredients into a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Stores for up to 7 days in the refrigerator.
Instant Pot tortilla soup
- Using the sauté feature, saute the onion and garlic with 2 Tablespoons broth until softened. About 5 minutes.
- Once softened, add 2 cups of broth, canned tomatoes, and the seasonings to the pot.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the ingredients. (You can also transfer the ingredients to a standard blender, then return them back to the pot.
- Now, add the remaining 3 cups of broth, rice, and beans to the pot and seal the lid.
- Using the "manual" or "pressure cook" feature, set the cooking time to 22 minutes high pressure.
- Allow the pressure to naturally release. You can also manually release the pressure after 12-15 minutes if you'd like.
Stovetop tortilla soup
- In a large soup pot, over medium heat, cook the onion and garlic with 2 Tablespoons veggie broth, until softened. (5-7 min)
- Once the veggies have softened add 2 cups of broth, tomatoes and the seasonings to your pot.
- Using an immersion blender puree the soup. (or transfer to a traditional blender)
- Add in the remaining 3 cups broth, rice, and beans to the pot. Cover and simmer on low for 30-40 min. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the spinach and frozen corn.
- Preheat your oven to 400º.
- Cut the tortillas into thin strips. Then cut crosswise to shorten.
- Place the strips on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season with a few pinches of salt.
- Bake for 10-15 min or until crispy.
- Top this vegan tortilla soup with jalapeño cashew-queso, tortilla strips, diced avocado, fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
- For a mild, kid-friendly soup omit the jalapeño from the queso.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 bowls Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 528Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 579mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 16gSugar: 9gProtein: 20g
**Nutritional info is provided as an estimate based on the ingredients I used and for convenience and as a courtesy only.**