Vegan Instant Pot potato soup is made with pantry staples. It’s super easy to bring together for an effortless weeknight dinner. Enjoy this rich and creamy soup as-is, or pile on your favorite baked potato toppings! Creamy potato soup is dairy-free, gluten-free, and allergy-friendly!
Let your Instant Pot do the cooking tonight!
This simple vegan potato soup can be prepared in under 10 minutes in the Instant Pot making it great for those busy weeknights.
Pair it with a loaf of crusty bread for an easy filling meal the whole family is sure to enjoy!
Potato soup is made with pantry staples
For the hearty base of this soup, I used russet potatoes, frozen cauliflower, fresh onion, and a few basic dried seasonings.
At the time, I was low on produce and out of carrots and celery, so a "classic potato soup" was out of the question.
I went with the ingredients I had on-hand and created this easier Instant Pot version of my potato cauliflower soup.
• • •
How to make potato soup in the Instant Pot
Instant Pot soups don’t get much easier than this one! In a few simple steps and less than 10 minutes, you’ll have dinner cooking.
- To make the soup, toss all the ingredients into the IP’s inner pot.
- Give everything a good mix to submerging the vegetables in the liquid.
Seal the lid and use the ”pressure cook” or “manual” feature to set the cooking time to 3 minutes and walk away!
- When the cooking time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally. It should look like the above image on the left when you open the lid.
- Give everything a stir to mix in the seasonings that have settled on the top during the cooking process.
Blend the soup until it's creamy using an immersion blender. The soup can also be transferred to a standard blender and blended in batches.
Customize this recipe to your taste
If you’re also low on produce in the fridge, feel free to swap out the cauliflower with available ingredients. Or, go “classic" and replace the cauliflower with 1 cup each diced celery and carrots.
Another suggestion is to use yukon gold or red potatoes instead of russets. They’ll create an even creamier soup.
Or, replace the non-dairy milk with canned coconut cream for a richer potato soup.
To serve, add your favorite potato toppings
- vegan bacon
- sour cream
- vegan cheese shreds
- chopped green onion
- freshly ground pepper
What sets this Instant Pot potato soup apart from the rest?
- It’s a cinch to bring together.
- Made with simple on-hand ingredients.
- Great for busy weeknights when you're usually pinched for time.
- A filling hearty meal when served with crusty bread or in a bread bowl.
- It’s a foolproof vegan recipe.
For more warming winter soups try one of these
We'd love to hear from you!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a 5-star rating in the recipe card and share your thoughts in the comments below. Also, if you snap a photo be sure to share it with us! We love to see your creations! You can find us on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram.
- 2.5 lbs russet potatoes (about 7 medium potatoes)
- 1 (10oz) bag frozen cauliflower, or about 3 cups fresh chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 and 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 7-8 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt, or to taste*
- 1 and 1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- pepper to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to the inner pot of your Instant Pot: chopped potatoes, onion, cauliflower, broth, dairy-free milk, nutritional yeast, and seasonings.
- Mix everything together and seal the lid.
- Use the ”pressure cook” or “manual” feature to set the cooking time for 3 minutes on high pressure.
- Once the cooking time is up, allow the IP to naturally release the pressure for 18-20 minutes. Carefully turn the vent knob to release any remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and give the soup a stir.
- Use an immersion blender to blend everything up. You can also transfer it to a standard blender and blend the soup in batches.
- If the soup is thick add more broth or non-dairy milk. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings. (see above post for suggestions)
- I use a low sodium broth. Adjust the salt according to your broth.
- Generously measure the seasonings for full flavor.
- Add vegan cheese shreds for extra cheese flavor. Or use them in place of the nutritional yeast.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 bowls Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 267mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 9g
**Nutritional info is provided as an estimate based on the ingredients I used and for convenience and as a courtesy only.**