Vegan blueberry scones are loaded with fresh blueberries and topped with lemon icing! This vegan scone recipe is easy to make and requires only 7 ingredients. Whip up a batch for a weekend breakfast, a holiday gathering, or enjoy a scone with your morning cup of coffee.
The soft moist centers and crisp golden-brown tops are what freshly baked scones are known for. And these blueberry scones definitely deliver both!
I tested multiple batches using flaxseed and yogurt as an egg replacer. But in the end, I felt they were unnecessary and over-complicated the recipe.
These winning vegan scones definitely have the perfect scone taste and texture even without egg.
Vegan blueberry scones are made with everyday ingredients keeping the recipe simple.
- Cane sugar is my sugar of choice. You can use any granulated sugar or even coconut sugar.
- Himalayan pink salt gives the scones a buttery flavor. You can also use sea salt or table salt.
- Coconut oil is cut into the flour giving the scones their perfect texture. Go with refined oil for a neutral taste. Or use vegan butter if you'd like.
- Blueberries are the center of this recipe. Use fresh or frozen. If using frozen, lightly coat them in flour to limit the color bleeding into the batter.
These vegan scones are made in 1-bowl so they’re easy to whip up. Let me show you how!
Step 1. Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix them together.
Step 2. Carefully dollop the oil into the bowl.
Step 3. Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut the oil into the dry ingredients.
Step 4. Once the oil is well incorporated, slowly mix in the non-dairy milk. Add a little bit at a time until the dough comes together and there are no dry crumbles at the bottom of the bowl.
Step 5. Add the blueberries to the bowl and carefully mix them in to avoid smashing them. It may be easier to fold the blueberries in by hand.
Step 6. Form the dough into a ball.
Step 7. Transfer the dough ball to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Shape and flatten the dough into a 2-inch thick disc using your hands.
Step 8. Use a pastry scraper or sharp knife to cut the dough into 8 pie-shaped slices.
Step 9. Pull the cut scone dough apart and space them out on the baking sheet.
Step 10. Bake at 400ºF for 15-22 minutes. Allow the vegan blueberry scones to cool for 5-10 minutes before enjoying.
Drizzle the tops with lemon icing and sprinkle with fresh lemon zest. Enjoy them with a warm cup of coffee for breakfast, brunch, or dessert!
What to serve with these scones
I definitely suggest topping your vegan blueberry scones with the included lemon icing. It’s sweet, tart, and perfectly compliments the scones.
For slightly less-sweet blueberry scones enjoy them plain or add fruit-sweetened jam or a slight dusting of powdered sugar. Agave nectar is another delicious topping to drizzle over the scones.
For a light morning vegan treat or evening dessert, enjoy these scones with a warm cup of coffee or tea. Or, pair them with a side of breakfast potatoes and tofu scramble for a heartier vegan breakfast meal.
- Roll the dough out to a 2-inch thick disc for perfect sized scones.
- Slowly pour the non-dairy milk into the dry ingredients while mixing. Add enough milk to bring the dough together until there are no dry crumbles at the bottom of the bowl.
- Sometimes the blueberries can be a bit tricky to mix into the finished dough, even with your hands. To avoid that, mix the blueberries into the bowl of dry ingredients. Just be careful not to smash them while mixing in the wet ingredients.
- If you notice the tops of the scones aren’t browning but they are done, switch the oven to broil for about 1-2 minutes. This will brown the tops. But keep a close eye on them while they are in there. The tops can go from brown to burnt very quickly!
Get the link to new recipes delivered straight to your inbox by signing up for our newsletter. See ya there!
Vegan Blueberry Scones
The best vegan blueberry scones are loaded with fresh blueberries and topped with a sweet/tart lemon icing! Enjoy these homemade scones with a cup of coffee for a delicious and easy morning breakfast.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cane sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- ¾ cups non-dairy milk
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, scoop-able (use refined for a neutral flavor)
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a larger bowl combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt).
- Cut-in the coconut oil using a pastry cutter or fork.
- Mix in about half of the non-dairy milk. Slowly add the remaining non-dairy milk to the mixture a little at a time. Add just enough milk to create a dough with no flour crumbs at the bottom of the bowl (you may not need all the milk). The dough should be slightly sticky like biscuit dough.
- Gently fold in the blueberries. If the blueberries aren't cooperating, use your hands to evenly mixed them in.
- Shape the dough into a ball and transfer it to the baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using your hands, shape and flatten the dough ball into a round disc about 2-inches thick.
- Cut the dough into 8 pie-shaped pieces using a pastry scraper or sharp knife.
- Carefully pull apart the scones and space them out on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 400ºF for 15-22 minutes. Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes before icing.
- Add the powdered sugar to a small bowl.
- Mix in 1 Tablespoon lemon juice. Add the second Tablespoon as needed to reach a drizzle consistency.
- Drizzle the lemon icing over the scones using a spoon.
- Coat frozen blueberries in flour to keep the color from bleeding into the dough.
- If the tops aren’t browning, broil the scones on the middle rack for 1-2 minutes. Watch them closely while they broil because the tops will brown/burn quickly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 scones Serving Size: 1 scone
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 287Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 293mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 4g
**Nutritional info is provided as an estimate based on the ingredients I used and for convenience and as a courtesy only.**
More breakfast favorites
Where You Get Your Protein is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This site may contain some of these links to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Where You Get Your Protein will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost to you.
Leave a Reply