BBQ Cauliflower Wings are perfectly crispy, baked (not fried), and made with only 8 ingredients. These vegan wings are a great meatless alternative to traditional wings.
These aren’t your average BBQ cauliflower wings. They’re finger-licking-good, party-worthy vegan wings!
They bake up sweet and sticky with a crispy breadcrumb crunch.
These BBQ cauliflower wings are definitely a crowd-pleaser and a Game Day favorite. And with a mild BBQ flavor, even the littlest sports fan won't be able to keep their hands off the wings.
Just 8 simple ingredients are needed to make this recipe!
*Full ingredient amounts are in the recipe card below
Ingredients notes and substitutes
- Cauliflower – The batter will accommodate a rather large cauliflower head so don’t be shy when picking one out.
- Flour – All-purpose flour is the best choice for the batter. Gluten-free flour can also be used.
- Breadcrumbs – I use plain breadcrumbs, but seasoned or even panko breadcrumbs are also an option. (use gf breadcrumbs if needed)
- BBQ Sauce – Use your favorite store-bought or homemade BBQ sauce. It can be sweet, spicy, smoky, etc. There is no right or wrong BBQ sauce to use. Any brand and any flavor will do!
These BBQ Cauliflower Wings are super easy to make.
Step 1. In a bowl large enough to fit all the cauliflower, whisk together the batter ingredients.
Step 2. Add all the cauliflower florets to the bowl of batter.
Step 3. Use a spatula, wooden spoon, or your hands to toss the batter and cauliflower florets together until coated.
Step 4. Now it’s time to cover the battered wings in breadcrumbs for a desired crispy texture. Use one hand to handle the battered cauliflower and the other hand to toss it in breadcrumbs.
Step 5. As you finish breading the wings, transfer them to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Step 6. Bake until the outside becomes browned and crispy.
Step 7. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and brush all sides of each wing with BBQ sauce.
Step 8. Bake them once more so they crisp back up and the BBQ sauce caramelizes.
If you're looking to be game day ready, then pair these wings with celery sticks, carrot sticks, and an ice-cold beverage.
And don't forget the homemade ranch dip! It’s made from vegan mayo and it's my go-to dip for these vegan wings.
You won’t regret it, I promise!
You definitely aren't going to fool anyone into thinking these are chicken. However, the taste is just as amazing as traditional wings.
The cauliflower bakes up tender while the breadcrumb coating creates a crispy outside. And the BBQ sauce makes these vegan wings sweet, sticky, and irresistible.
The breadcrumbs give the BBQ cauliflower wings a crispy coating. And baking them twice keeps the outside crispy.
Sure! Place the wings single layer and space them apart. Cook in multiple batches, if needed.
A head of cauliflower may seem intimidating to cut, but it's actually very easy.
Start by flipping the cauliflower upside down and pulling off any green leaves. This will expose the cauliflower "trunk".
Keeping the cauliflower upside down, you can see where the florets are attached to the trunk. Slip your knife in there and cut each floret off the trunk. From there, cut any large florets in half or thirds.
If you're a visual person, this video HERE is super helpful and will walk you through cutting a cauliflower!
- Tap off any excess batter before rolling the cauliflower wings in the breadcrumbs. A light coating of batter on the cauliflower florets is best.
- Brush on the BBQ sauce rather than submerging the wings in it. This will help the wings stay crispy.
- For spicy wings, add a few dashes of hot sauce to the batter. or use a spicy BBQ sauce.
- Save leftover wings in the fridge for up to 4 days. Simply reheat them in the toaster oven, or conventional oven, at 350ºF for 5-10 minutes or until heated throughout.
We'd love to hear from you!
If you enjoyed this vegan lentil loaf recipe, please leave a 5-star rating in the recipe card and share your thoughts in the comments below.
Or, get the links to new recipes delivered straight to your inbox by signing up for our newsletter. See ya there!
- 1 large cauliflower head, cut into florets
- 1 and ½ cups plain or panko breadcrumbs
- 1 and ½ cups of your favorite BBQ sauce
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then, add the breadcrumbs to a deep plate.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the dry batter ingredients --flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt. Pour in the water and whisk until well combined. The batter should be thick yet still pourable. If it seems too thick, add a bit more water.
- Add the cauliflower florets to the bowl of batter. Gently fold them in until they are lightly covered in batter.
- Working with 1-2 florets at a time, tap off any excess batter. Place in the breadcrumbs and roll around until coated.
- Transfer the breaded wings to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 450ºF for 20-25 minutes or until they begin to brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and brush each wing with BBQ sauce covering all sides.
- Bake for an additional 8-10 minutes to crisp the wings back up.
- Serve with homemade ranch or your favorite dipping sauce.
- Be sure to tap off any excess batter from the cauliflower wings to ensure they crisp up.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 399mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 6gSugar: 14gProtein: 7g
**Nutritional info is provided as an estimate based on the ingredients I used and for convenience and as a courtesy only.**
More finger-licking good recipes
Where You Get Your Protein is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This site may contain some of these links to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Where You Get Your Protein will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost to you.