Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs can be topped any way you like. Plus, they’re grillable which makes them a great vegan option for summer BBQs! Leave the unhealthy mock meats at the store and slide a carrot between those buns instead! Grilling, stovetop, and oven directions included!
The first time I tried a carrot dog I was a bit hesitant. But after one bit I realized it was delicious!
It had all the classic hotdog flavors tastes ––smoky, salty, and delicious because this one's vegan!!
These vegan carrot hotdogs are great for parties and summer BBQs!
How to make the perfect carrot hot dog!
- Start by picking out large carrots. Keep in mind that the thicker the carrot the more it will fill out the bun.
- Once you’ve selected some “hotdog-sized" carrots cut them to bun length, leaving an extra 1/2’’ on each end of the carrot.
- Now, like a sculptor to a blank marble, get your peeler out and chisel some perfect-looking carrot dogs. Peel them shaping and rounding the edges for a more uniform “hotdog” appearance.
Now you have some perfect-looking vegan hotdogs!
Choose your favorite toppings
Go for the classic mustard and ketchup, load 'em with avocado for an avo-dog, or try any of these toppings:
- diced onion
The possibilities are endless!
We'd love to hear from you!
If you enjoyed this vegan recipe, please leave a 5-star rating in the recipe card and share your thoughts in the comments below.
Or, get the links to new recipes delivered straight to your inbox by signing up for our newsletter. See ya there!
- 8-10 large carrots, peeled and cut to bun size
Prep the carrots and marinade
- Boil the prepped (peeled) carrots for about 10 min to soften them until they are just fork-tender. You don't want to fully cook the carrots, but the fork shouldn't have too much resistance going in. Think hot dog tender. I test the carrots by poking one with a fork. Once the fork pierces the center of the carrot without too much force they’re done.
- While the carrots boil, prep the marinade. Mix all the ingredients in a shallow glass dish.
- Remove the carrots from the hot water and poke them a few times with a fork. This will allow them to absorb more marinade. Now add the carrots to the marinade.
- Marinate them in the fridge for at least 2 hours, but overnight is best for more flavor. Rotate the carrots a few times for an even coating.
- Grill the carrots on a gas or charcoal grill until heated throughout and grill marks have formed. (about 5-8 minutes)
- Flip and heat for another 2-3 minutes to add grill marks to the other side. Brush the carrots with the extra marinade throughout the grilling process.
- Preheat the oven to 415ºF.
- Place carrot dogs on a cast iron grill or parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush the carrots with a bit of extra marinade.
- Bake for 15 min, then flip each carrot dog, brush with more marinade and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Carefully place the carrots in your skillet.
- Heat on each side for about 5 minutes or until heated throughout. While the carrots cook, brush them with the extra marinade.
Now, dress those carrot dogs any way you like!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 carrot hot dogs Serving Size: 1 carrot hot dog
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 21Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 27mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 0g
**Nutritional info is provided as an estimate based on the ingredients I used and for convenience and as a courtesy only.**