Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs can be topped any way you like. Plus, they’re grillable which make them great for vegan summer BBQ's! Leave the unhealthy mock meats at the store and slide a carrot between those buns instead! Grilling, stovetop and oven directions included!
When I got around to trying this meatless alternative, I was amazed at how good it was! It actually taste like what I remembered of a hotdog––smoky, salty and delicious because this one's vegan!!
Needless to say, my family was impressed as well. My daughter devoured hers with ketchup and mustard. It's been her favorite meal this summer.
They're also great for parties and summer BBQ's!
How to make the perfect carrot hot dog!
- Start by picking out large carrots. Keep in mind, the thicker the carrot the more it will fill out the bun.
- Once you’ve selected some “hotdog-sized" carrots cut them to bun length, leaving an extra 1/2’’ on each end of the carrot.
- Now, like a sculptor to a blank marble, get your peeler out and chisel some perfect looking carrot dogs. Peel them shaping and rounding the edges for a more uniform “hotdog” appearance.
Now you have some perfect looking vegan hotdogs!
Choose your favorite toppings
Go for the classic --mustard and ketchup, load 'em with avocado for an avo-dog, or try any of these toppings:
- diced onion
The possibilities are endless!
We'd love to hear from you!
If you loved this recipe, please leave a 5 star rating in the recipe card and share your thoughts in the comments below. Also, if you snap a photo be sure to share it with us! We love to see your creations! You can find us on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram.
- 8-10 large carrots, peeled and cut to bun size
Prep the carrots and marinade
- Boil the prepped carrots for about 10 min to soften them until they are just fork tender. You don't want to fully cook the carrots, but the fork shouldn't have too much resistance going in. Think hot dog tender. I test the carrots by poking one with a fork. Once the fork pierces the center of the carrot without too much force they’re done.
- While the carrots boil, prep the marinade. Mix all the ingredients in a shallow glass dish.
- Remove the carrots from the hot water and poke them a few times with a fork. This will allow them to absorb more marinade. Now add the carrots to the marinade.
- Marinate them in the fridge for at least 2 hours, but overnight is best for more flavor. Rotate the carrots a few times for an even coating.
- Grill the carrots on a gas or charcoal grill until heated throughout and grill marks have formed. (about 5-8 minutes)
- Flip and heat for another 2-3 minutes to add grill marks to the other side. Brush the carrots with the extra marinade throughout the grilling process.
- Preheat oven to 415ºF.
- Place carrot dogs on a cast iron grill or parchment lined baking sheet. Brush the carrots with a bit of extra marinade.
- Bake for 15 min, then flip each carrot dog, brush with more marinade and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Carefully place the carrots in your skillet.
- Heat on each side for about 5 minutes or until heated throughout. While the carrots cook, brush them with the extra marinade.
Now, dress those carrot dogs anyway you like!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 carrot hot dogs Serving Size: 1 carrot hot dog
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 21Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 27mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 0g
**Nutritional info is provided as an estimate based on the ingredients I used and for convenience and as a courtesy only.**
*Disclosure: This post contains / may contain affiliate links.