Vegan chickpea soft tacos are an easy and delicious meatless alternative. They’re packed with seasoned chickpeas, topped with chopped lettuce, diced tomatoes and fresh onion. The tacos are then covered in a savory ‘cheese-flavored’ cashew ranch to create the best vegan soft tacos!
Are you guys sick of Mexican food yet? Me either!
Making all of my meals at home means I create a lot of easy Mexican recipes. Some stick around and end up in the dinner rotation while others are tossed to the curb.
But when one sticks I ALWAYS SHARE IT WITH YOU!
So today I present to you – The most incredible vegan chickpea soft tacos you’ll ever enjoy!
The best chickpea soft tacos
These tacos are loaded with simple ingredients I’m sure you have on hand like – chickpeas, lettuce, tomato and onion.
Taco seasoned chickpeas are pan-sauted to perfection then stuffed in homemade flour tortillas. Add the simple toppings to your tacos, then cover it all in the most amazing ‘cheese flavored’ ranch dressing for the best chickpea tacos!
Welcome to taco bliss!
Did you say homemade flour tortillas?
Yes, I did!
I prefer making my own homemade flour tortillas for these chickpea soft tacos. They’re fairly easy to make and the recipe includes step-by-step photos to help you along.
And the best part about it – you probably have the ingredients on hand.
Of course you can always use store bought tortillas…but quite frankly, they just won’t be as good! Oh who am I kidding. They’ll be delicious!
What can I serve with chickpea Tacos?
Pair these vegan soft tacos with a side of Spanish rice for a filling dinner. If you’re a cool kid and own an Instant-Pot then the rice is super easy to make as well. No chopping involved!
Ok, even if you don’t own an IP you can still be a cool kid and cook it on the stove. There are instructions for that too!
Save and reheat any leftovers for an extremely easy lunch!
We’d love to hear from you!
If you loved this recipe, please leave a 5 star rating in the recipe card and share your thoughts in the comments below. Also, if you snap a photo be sure to share it with us! We love to see your creations! You can find us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram.
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas, or 2 (15oz) cans
- neutral oil for sautéing
- flour tortillas
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Creamy 'Cheesy' Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked
- 2/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- Lettuce of choice, chopped
- 1/2 of a small red onion, diced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- fresh squeezed lime juice
- avocado, optional
- Creamy 'cheesy' ranch dressing
For the Chickpeas
- In a small bowl mix the taco seasonings.
- Add the chickpeas and about a teaspoon of oil to a large sauté pan. Sauté over medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the chickpeas begin to brown add in a tad bit more oil and 1/2 of the taco seasoning. Taste and add more seasoning to your liking. Sauté for about 2-3 more minutes.
For the Cheesy Ranch Dressing
- Add everything, except the parsley and chives, to a high speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in the parsley and chives.
- Add more non-dairy milk to thin if needed.
- Place the seasoned chickpeas in a soft flour tortilla and top with fresh squeezed lime juice.
- Add chopped lettuce & onions, and diced tomatoes.
- Spoon on a generous amount of sauce.
- Top with diced avocado if desired.
*To quick soak the cashews - boil about 1 cup of water. Turn off the heat and toss in the cashews. Allow them to soak for 10-15 minutes.
*After adding the seasonings don’t over cook or you’ll risk burning the seasonings.
*Making homemade tortillas will definitely add some extra time to the recipe. But if I have the time, I find it's worth it!
*This post contains affiliate links.