The holiday season strikes us again. Over the years, my view of the holiday season has changed. But, I still love some good vegan holiday food. Nothing beats a plate piled high with stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, rolls, cranberry sauce and for dessert– Dutch Apple-Pear Pie. 🍴😋 I will eat leftovers for days!
So far I haven't ventured into making a flour pie crust, but I'll get to it one day. I usually cheat and buy a ready made crust. The local health food market carries an organic vegan pie crust, it's delicious and made with simple ingredients. So, I've felt no need to mess with a good thing, yet.
My love of fruit pies is serious, though. I could eat an entire strawberry pie in less than 2 days. And the same goes for my Dutch Apple Pear Pie. The sweet pears add another element to an otherwise ordinary apple pie. It is such a great addition I've started making all my apple pies with pears.
We'd love to hear from you!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a 5-star rating in the recipe card and share your thoughts in the comments below.
- 1 pie crust, 9-inch (pre-made, but not cooked)
- 3 medium tart apples (about 1 to 1.5 pounds)
- 3 medium pears (about 1 to 1.5 pounds)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar, or brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- pinch of allspice
- 2 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- ⅓ cup Refined coconut oil, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- In a medium bowl prep the crumb topping. Combine the flour, oats, sugar and salt. Then with a fork (or your fingers) incorporate the coconut oil.
- Peel and core the apples and pears. Cut into roughly ¼ inch slices.
- In a large mixing bowl add the pie filling ingredients: apples, pears, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, allspice and flour. Toss to evenly coat the apples and pears.
- Evenly layer the fruit mixture in your pie crust.
- Then sprinkle the crumb topping over the fruit and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake on the middle rack at 375º for 35-45 min. If you notice the crust or crumb topping browning too fast, place a sheet of parchment paper or foil over the top.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- This is a great recipe to make ahead of time. I notice the pie taste best if left to cool overnight.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 slices Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 125mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 5gSugar: 32gProtein: 4g
**Nutritional info is provided as an estimate based on the ingredients I used and for convenience and as a courtesy only.**