This isn’t your average vegan sandwich. It’s a flavor-packed VEGAN HOLIDAY SANDWICH brought together by an herb and cranberry taste reminiscent of the holidays. The taste is so classic you would never know this sandwich was vegan!
“SHE’S RIGHT” –That was my husband in the background expressing his love of this sandwich!
But seriously, this sandwich has a classic holiday taste that’s downright craveable! Toasted sourdough bread is “stuffed” with an herb marinated tofu, caramelized onions, a savory herb dressing and, of course, cranberry sauce.
I’m craving this vegan holiday sandwich just talking about it!
I’ve kept this sandwich free of holiday leftovers so it can be enjoyed throughout the season. However, if you’ve got ‘em go ahead and use ‘em.
You can replace the tofu with your favorite leftover holiday substitute and add any leftover sides– stuffing, potatoes etc. Then top it all off with my savory herb dressing and cranberry sauce.
Trust me, you won’t want to skip the dressing and cranberry sauce!
HOW TO PREPARE THE PERFECT VEGAN HOLIDAY SANDWICH
This vegan holiday sandwich comes together rather easily once all the ingredients have been prepared.
Start by marinating the tofu for at least an hour, but overnight will yield the best flavor. After the tofu has marinated, bake it in the oven for 25 minutes.
While that bakes, prepare the dressing and onions.
Now assemble and devour this irresistible sandwich!
The dressing does make more than is needed. If you have a nutribullet or small blender the recipe can be cut in half. But, for a standard blender I recommend making the whole batch and using any leftovers as a savory dip, or top anything else you’d like with it!
AND don’t forget the Peanut Butter Cookies for dessert!
This sandwich is loaded with holiday flavor. Sourdough bread is piled high with herb tofu, caramelized onions, savory herb dressing and cranberry sauce. This vegan holiday sandwich is unbelievably craveable!
1 hrPrep Time
25 minCook Time
1 hr, 25 Total Time
Yields 4 Sandwiches
8 slices vegan sourdough bread, toasted* (use gf if needed)
2 Blocks organic extra firm tofu, sliced (aim for at least 16 slices per block)
1 cup veggie broth
1 Tablespoon Tamari
1 teaspoon onion powder
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
3/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt, or to taste depending on the broth used
1/2 cup cashews, soaked*
3/4 cup non-dairy milk, (if your using a thinner milk add only 2/3 cups)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon parsley
fresh ground pepper to taste
1 medium onion, caramelized
Savory herb dressing
1-2 cans cranberry sauce (if you really like cranberry sauce I suggest grabbing 2 cans)
- Marinate the sliced tofu for at least 1 hour, but overnight will yield the best flavor.
- Place the tofu on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Baste each piece of tofu with a small spoonful of the extra marinade.
- Bake the tofu in the oven at 375ºF for 20 minutes. Flip each piece over then bake for another 5 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
- While the tofu is baking make the sauce and sauté the onions.
- Add everything, except the thyme, basil, parsley and pepper, to a high speed blender or nutribullet.
- Blend until the cashews are creamy and smooth. Mix in the remaining seasonings. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- If the dressing is too thin, place it in the refrigerator to thicken up. Keeps in there for up to 5 days.
- Slice the onion into thin rounds on a mandoline . Cut each round into fourths.
- Add the onion and about a Tablespoon of oil to a skillet . Sauté over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes to caramelize the onion.
- Place desired amount of tofu slices on toasted sourdough bread.
- Top with caramelized onions, savory dressing, fresh ground pepper and cranberry sauce.
*The bread can be toasted in a toaster or brushed with a bit of oil and heated on a skillet.
How To Soak Cashews
In a small saucepan, boil a cup of water. Turn off the heat and add the cashews. Allow them to soak for at least 10 minutes or until softened for easier blending.
*This post contains affiliate links.