A healthier/cruelty-free option to nacho cheese you won’t regret trying. This delicious, creamy, vegan jalapeño nacho cheese is made with cashews, potatoes, carrots and onions. Use it as a cheese dip for soft pretzel bites, add it to your favorite nachos, tacos or even baked potatoes, it’s good on everything!
2/3 cup cashews - soaked
1 and 1/2 cups golden potato - peeled and chopped
1/3 cup carrot - peeled and chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon salt - or to taste
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1-2 jalapeño peppers (optional)
Squeeze of lemon
- Start by soaking the cashews, (This will help them blend to a smoother consistency.) Bring a cup or 2 of water to a boil, turn off heat and add cashews. Allow them to soak for 10-15 min, or while you prep veggies. Then, drain and rinse.
- In a saucepan, bring several cups of water to boil. While your water is heating up, peel and rough chop your carrot and potatoes, and rough chop your onion
- Add the veggies to the boiling water and cook until soft.
- While the veggies cook, place your cashews, vegan milk and one tablespoon of water from the cooking veggies to your blender and blend until smooth.
- When your veggies are fork soft, remove them from the water with a slotted spoon. Add them to your blender along with the seasonings.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. If needed, add a tablespoon at a time of veggie water to your blender to reach desired consistency.