I've always thought jackfruit was a bit tricky to cook with. I would cook the young jackfruit triangles without breaking them up first. I tossed the jackfruit and seasonings right into the pan thinking it would turn into “shredded jackfruit" (maybe you’ve tried this too).
But I was wrong! It was hard to break up and stuck to the bottom of the pan.
Talk about a recipe fail!
Fortunately, I found a solution making these jackfruit tacos a RECIPE WIN!
How to prepare jackfruit for the best texture
Now it's my favorite way to prepare jackfruit!
Jackfruit can be purchased 2 ways: fresh and canned
Canned young green jackfruit in brine or water (not syrup!) is what you will need for this recipe. Young green jackfruit has a neutral flavor that works well in savory dishes. It's the perfect meatless alternative for these vegan tacos.
What kind of tortillas can I use?
Any kind of tortilla will work for jackfruit tacos.
I went with corn tortilla sliders for an American-style vegan street taco. Their smaller size makes them perfect for these grab-able tacos.
Feel free to use yellow corn, white corn, flour, or even homemade tortillas.
The choice is yours!
Jackfruit taco toppings and additions
Top your vegan tacos with diced onion and fresh cilantro for an authentic-style street taco.
Or, try one of these options:
- refried beans
- black beans
- Spanish rice
- jalapeno peppers
- sliced avocado
- freshly squeezed lime juice
- tomatillo sauce
The options are practically endless!
If you enjoyed this recipe you may also enjoy one of these:
We'd love to hear from you!
If you loved this recipe, please leave a 5-star rating in the recipe card and share your thoughts in the comments below. Also, if you snap a photo be sure to share it with us! We love to see your creations! You can find us on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram.
Vegan Jackfruit Tacos
Go meatless with these delicious vegan jackfruit tacos! They’re filled with shredded jackfruit seasoned to perfection. Top these simple jackfruit tacos with fresh cilantro and diced onion for an easy weeknight dinner. Or, make the filling ahead of time for an even easier “reheat” meal.
- 16 corn tortillas, slider size
- 2 (20oz) cans of jackfruit
- 2 Tablespoons neutral oil for sautéing
- 1 and ½ Tablespoons cumin
- 1 and ½ Tablespoon chili powder
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 and ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Himalayan pink salt to taste,(I use about 1 and ½ teaspoon)
- Optional: 1-2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Diced onion
- Fresh cilantro
- Jalapeño slices
- Drain and rinse the canned jackfruit, then pat it dry.
- To shred the jackfruit, pulse it in a food processor. If you have a smaller food processor, you may need to do this step in a few batches. It should look like this.
- In a large pan mix the oil, jackfruit, and spices. Allow the jackfruit to sit/marinate in the seasonings for about 5 minutes. The moisture in the jackfruit will help absorb the flavors of the seasoning.
- Once the jackfruit has 'marinated', heat it over medium heat to cook. (about 15-20 minutes) You’re looking to create a drier texture.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
Assemble the tacos
- Add a heaping spoonful of jackfruit to a warmed corn tortilla.
- Top with diced onion, fresh cilantro and any other toppings you’d like.
- Baked Jackfruit- Alternatively you can bake the jackfruit. Place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated oven at 375ºF for 20-30 minutes. After 15 minutes give the jackfruit a stir, then pop it back into the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 taco sliders Serving Size: 2 taco sliders
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172
**Nutritional info is provided as an estimate based on the ingredients I used and for convenience and as a courtesy only.**
Leave a Reply