I have a crazy love for lemons and anything lemon scented. It began when I was pregnant with my daughter. The only thing to keep back my nausea was to breathe in the fresh scent of lemons! It got to the point where I’d wash my hands with a lemon soap just to inhale the lemony aroma.
Since then, I’ve had an undeniable fondness of lemons, to the point I douse myself in them –literally. My soaps are all naturally lemon scented and I even use lemon juice as deodorant. (which I’ve found works better!)
As you can see, my love for lemons is serious!
Let’s get back to these addicting Soft, Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies. I say addicting because in the last week I’ve made 3 batches and not one batch survived more than 36 hours.
Soft, Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies…
If you’re also fond of all things lemon, you’ll love these cookies! They’re a quick and easy treat to prepare. Only a few simple steps between you and the most irresistible lemon cookie!
- Combine your dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl cream the coconut sugar and oil, then whisk in the remaining wet ingredients.
- With a wooden spoon, mix the dry ingredients into the wet until fully incorporated.
- Roll the cookie dough into balls, and gently flatten on your pan, then bake.
So, let’s get baking!
The trick to achieving melt-in-your-mouth lemon poppy seed cookies is to only bake them for 8 minutes. This allows the cookies to bake just enough time to remain soft and tender, without under cooking. They will stay soft and fresh for up to 7 days in an airtight container.
Yields approx. 24-28 cookies
15 minPrep Time
8 minCook Time
23 minTotal Time
1 and 3/4 cup organic unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/3 cup refined coconut oil, softened/melted
1/4 cup organic lemon juice, fresh squeezed
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract (or organic lemon zest)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients (except the coconut sugar) in a medium bowl: flour, baking soda, baking powder and poppy seeds.
- In a separate, larger bowl, cream together the sugar and oil. Then mix in the remaining wet ingredients.
- Pour half of the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet and mix in.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until fully combined. The dough will be slightly sticky after mixing. Allow it to sit for a few min. If it's too sticky to handle, lightly dust your hands with flour.
- Scoop out a little more than 2 teaspoons of dough. I use a teaspoon and gather 2 scoops per cookie.
- Roll the dough into a ball and place on your baking sheet.
- Gently flatten the dough ball with the bottom of a measuring cup, or the palm of your hand. Cookies should still be slightly thick (slightly thicker than ¼ inch) to keep the centers soft.
- Bake at 350ºF for 8 min.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 5 min, then transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Cookies will stay fresh in an airtight container for up to a week.