A vegan Apple-Walnut Chickpea Salad Sandwich that tastes like no other! It’s made with an oil-free tahini dressing so there is no mayo! It’s also gluten-free and can be ready in under 15 minutes. Prep this easy to make salad ahead of time for a quick, grab-and-go, healthy lunch.
Summer has shown it’s hot self once again, which has me searching for easy, oven-less meals. I mean who wants to turn their oven on when its 100ºF outside!? No thanks! Since I’m on oven strike, I’ve been eating tons of fruit, but today I wanted something more…
Like a sandwich…
Bring in the Apple-Walnut Chickpea Salad Sandwich!
Sandwich craving cured!
What sets this Chickpea Salad Sandwich apart from the rest?
This apple-walnut chickpea salad sandwich has it all…
- Sweetness and moisture from the apple.
- A soft crunch from the walnuts, celery, and onion. And the
- A touch of tang from the lemon tahini dressing.
Enjoy chickpea salad…
- as a sandwich topped with creamy avocado slices, vine ripe tomatoes, and pickle wedges on the side.
- paired with crackers for an amazing snack.
- in a wrap for an easy lunch.
- straight out of the bowl, because it’s delicious on its own!
Not only is this sandwich vegan, but it’s also:
Canned or dried chickpeas?
I prefer purchasing dried chickpeas and cooking them myself for this summer salad. They tend to give it a fresher taste.
But if you’re in a pinch, canned will work too. Just be sure to rinse them well.
If you have leftover chickpeas, use them up in one of these recipes:
We’d love to hear from you!
If you loved this recipe, please leave a 5-star rating in the recipe card and share your thoughts in the comments below. Also, if you snap a photo be sure to share it with us! We love to see your creations! You can find us on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram.
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, cooked
- 2 Tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped (about 1 celery stalk)
- 1/2 cup organic apple, diced (about 1 small apple)
- 2 Tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 4 full teaspoons tahini
- 3 Tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt, or to taste
- Avocado slices
- Tomato slices
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- In a small bowl whisk the dressing ingredients together.
- In a large bowl mash the chickpeas. I try not to leave any whole chickpeas, but halves are perfectly fine.
- Mix in the chopped onion, celery, walnuts and diced apple.
- Pour in the dressing using a spatula to scrape the bowl. Then fold it into the chickpea mix.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 min. Or if your impatient, like me, skip the chilling and eat it right away.
- Add the chickpea salad to your favorite toasted bread and top with avocado, tomato, salt and pepper.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 servings Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 33mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 7g Protein: 8g