A vegan Apple-Walnut Chickpea Salad Sandwich that tastes like no other! It’s made with an oil-free tahini dressing, gluten-free and ready in under 15 minutes. Prep the salad ahead of time for a quick, grab-and-go, healthy lunch.
Summer has shown it’s hot self once again, which has me searching for easy, oven-less meals. I mean who wants to turn their oven on when its 100ºF outside!? No thanks! Since I’m on oven strike, I’ve been eating tons of fruit, but today I wanted something more…
Like a sandwich…
Bring in the Apple-Walnut Chickpea Salad Sandwich!
Sandwich craving cured!
What sets this Chickpea Salad Sandwich apart from the rest?
This apple-walnut chickpea salad sandwich has it all…
- Sweetness and moisture from the apple.
- A soft crunch from the walnuts, celery and onion. And the
- A touch of tang from the lemon tahini dressing.
- As a sandwich topped with creamy avocado slices, vine ripe tomatoes, and a few pickles on the side. (or you can put them on the sandwich if you’d prefer)
- Paired with crackers for an amazing snack.
- straight out of the bowl, because it’s delicious on its own!
Not only is this sandwich vegan, it’s also:
Can I use dried chickpeas?
To use dried chickpeas––cook about 1/2 cup of beans. making extra means more delicious chickpea recipes can be made.
Toss those extra chickpeas in your food processor with tahini, lemon juice and seasonings to make the the best hummus. Slather some of that creamy hummus on a few pieces of toast to make hummus avocado toast and you’ve got yourself another oven-less lunch.
We’d love to hear from you!
If you loved this vegan pizza recipe, please leave a 5 star rating in the recipe card and share your thoughts in the comments below. Also, if you snap a photo be sure to share it with us! We love to see your creations! You can find us on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram.
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, cooked
- 2 Tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped (about 1 celery stalk)
- 1/2 cup organic apple, diced (about 1 small apple)
- 2 Tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 4 full teaspoons tahini
- 3 Tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt, or to taste
- Avocado slices
- Tomato slices
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- In a small bowl whisk the dressing ingredients together.
- In a large bowl mash the chickpeas. I try not to leave any whole chickpeas, but halves are perfectly fine.
- Mix in the chopped onion, celery, walnuts and diced apple.
- Pour in the dressing using a spatula to scrape the bowl. Then fold it into the chickpea mix.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 min. Or if your impatient, like me, skip the chilling and eat it right away.
- Add the chickpea salad to your favorite toasted bread and top with avocado, tomato, salt and pepper.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 servings Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 33mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 7g Protein: 8g