Take your ordinary vegan BLT sandwich up a few notches with this Avocado Chickpea BLT. This irresistible sandwich is stuffed with a perfectly seasoned avocado chickpea mash. It’s then topped with smoky tempeh bacon, lettuce, and tomato to complete this vegan BLT! A quick and easy lunch that can be ready in minutes!
Cold sandwiches are a must on a warm summer day. I always have apple walnut chickpea salad or avocado-chickpea mash in the fridge ready to go.
Chickpeas are amazing for cold sandwiches. They mash up perfectly and can be mixed with almost any dressing and fresh veggies. Plus chickpeas are a great source of vegan protein!
The mash is the heart of this BLT sandwich!
Ditch the mayo because this sandwich is filled with a guacamole style avocado-chickpea mash. The mash turns this BLT, that would otherwise be slathered with mayo, into a healthier oil-free sandwich.
It only takes 2 simple steps and a few minutes to make
- mash the chickpeas to your liking
- mix in the avocado, onion, seasonings and lime juice
Tip: A ripe avocado shouldn’t need mashing. It will easily mash up during the mixing process.
How do I store leftover avocado-chickpea mash?
Top leftovers with extra lime juice (it can be mixed in or poured off when you’re ready to eat). Place plastic wrap directly on top so it is touching the mash. This will help prevent the avocado from unwanted browning. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What kind of vegan bacon can I use?
I like to keep my lunch as simple as possible. For this vegan sandwich, I purchase these organic tempeh bacon strips. They have a pleasant smoky flavor that ideally compliments the sandwich.
Of course, you can always opt for making your own. There are tons of vegan bacon recipes out there. Some are made from tempeh, but there are also many other foods you can use such as:
- rice paper
––and more. Check out my Pinterest board ‘vegan bacon recipes‘ for some of these recipe ideas.
Bake your bacon
The packaged tempeh bacon recommends to heat it up in a pan with oil. But I’m a rule breaker and like to bake my tempeh bacon. If you’re looking to be my sidekick, heat up your oven to 375ºF. Bake the bacon for 15 min, then flip and bake for another 10-15 minute.
Bake the whole package of ‘bacon‘ and store any leftovers in the fridge. Enjoy it cold, or simply reheat the leftover tempeh bacon when you’re ready to build your next sandwich.
How to build the BEST avocado chickpea BLT sandwich
- Place the lettuce on the bottom piece of bread. This will keep the mash from turning the bread soggy.
- Add a few spoonfuls of the avocado chickpea mash.
- Top with extra seasonings if desired: salt, pepper, cayenne, etc.
- Finish it off with a few slices of tomatoes and vegan bacon.
Now devour your Avocado Chickpea BLT! (or toss it in your lunch bag for later)
Favorite sandwich sides
- potato salad
- chips (I love Trader Joe’s baked plantain chips)
- fresh fruit
- macaroni salad
- dill pickles
- pasta salad
- oven-baked fries
If you enjoyed this recipe you may also enjoy one of these:
We’d love to hear from you!
If you enjoyed this recipe, 5-star rate it in the recipe card and tell us what you think in the comments below. Also, if you snap a photo be sure to share it with us! We love to see your creations! You can find us on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram.
Avocado Chickpea Mash
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 and 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas, or 1 (15oz) can drained and rinsed
- 3 Tablespoons red onion, finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice, about 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Himalayan pink salt to taste, (I use slightly less than 1/2 teaspoon)
- pepper to taste
- 6 slices of bread, use gluten-free if needed
- Tempeh bacon or vegan bacon of choice
Avocado Chickpea Mash
- Smash the chickpeas to your liking. Smash it all, or leave a few whole beans.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
To assemble the sandwich
- Toast the bread if you'd like.
- Place the lettuce on the bottom.
- Top with a few scoops of chickpea avocado mash, tomato slice and tempeh bacon.
- Tempeh Bacon Tip: If you are using packaged tempeh bacon you can keep it oil free by baking it in the oven at 375ºF for 25 minutes. Flip halfway through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 sandwiches Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 11mg Carbohydrates: 49g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 7g Protein: 15g