Easy Vegan Strawberry Pie with Walnut-Oat Crust. This pie is super simple to prepare and, hands down, my favorite strawberry pie! Fresh strawberries piled high inside an amazing walnut-oat crust, this will be your new go to Spring/Summer pie!
Nothing beats a fresh, homemade strawberry pie!
Vegan Strawberry Pie with Walnut-Oat Crust will be your new go to strawberry pie! An irresistible walnut-oat crust is piled with fresh strawberries creating the perfect seasonal pie.
If you haven’t experienced a homemade strawberry pie, I suggest visiting your local strawberry stand ASAP! It’s absolutely worth it!
fun fact about strawberries
Did you know strawberries are a perennial?
That means if you plant strawberries now they will continue to come back and produce berries for up to 5 years.
In my experience, the first year can be discouraging because it will yield the least amount of strawberries. However, let the plants do their thing and they will yield more berries in the next few years.
How to make Vegan Strawberry Pie
Step 1 – make the pie crust
Process the walnuts in a food processor until they are finely chopped.
To the walnuts, add the oat flour, salt, oil, and maple syrup and process until well combined. Then add the whole oats and process again until they’re roughly chopped.
Gently spread the dough to fill out the pie dish.
Bake at 350° for 10-15 min, or until the edge begins to darken. Set aside to cool.
Step 2 – Prepare the filling
- Dissolve 2 full Tablespoons of cornstarch in ¼ cup cold water and set aside.
- Add 4-6 strawberries to your food processor and process until pureed. Then add the strawberry puree, ½ cup of apple juice, and 3 Tablespoons of turbinado sugar to a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until simmering. Pour in the cornstarch mix and whisk until it becomes a gel consistency. Set aside to cool.
- Hull and chop your strawberries. Place the strawberries in a large bowl and fold in the gel.
- Add the strawberry filling to your pie crust and spread out evenly.
- Place the pie in the fridge to set for at least 45 min.
Step 3 – Serve
Just before serving line the pie with fresh banana slices. Serve as is, top with vegan whipped cream or a side of vanilla ice cream
For another pie-tastic recipe check out my Dutch Apple-Pear Pie!
We’d love to hear from you!
If you make this recipe, star rate it in the recipe card and tell us what you think in the comments below. Also, if you snap a photo be sure to share it with us! We love to see your creations! You can find us on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram.
Walnut Oat Crust
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1 cup oat flour, GF if necessary (see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 3/4 cup rolled oats, GF if necessary
- 2.5 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled & chopped
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 full Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup strawberry puree (see note)
- 3 Tablespoons turbinado sugar
Walnut Oat Crust:
- Preheat your oven to 350° and oil your pie dish.
- Measure out the walnuts and add them to your food processor. Pulse until the walnuts are roughly chopped and no large pieces remain.
- Add in the oat flour, salt, oil, and maple syrup. Pulse a few times until just combined.
- Now, add in the rolled oats and process until the oats are roughly chopped.
- Spoon the crust into your pie dish and with your fingers, gently spread and press it to fill out the dish. Be sure not to press too hard or it can cause the crust to stick.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-15 min or until edges of crust begin to darken.
- In a small bowl, mix the cold water and cornstarch until dissolved. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan stir together the puréed strawberries, apple juice and sugar over medium heat. Once simmering lower the heat and add in the cornstarch mix. Whisk until filling reaches a glaze/gel consistency. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Chop your strawberries for the pie and place them in a large bowl. (Cut smaller strawberries in half and larger berries in thirds)
- Once the filling has cooled to the touch (about 15 minutes), add it to the bowl of strawberries and gently fold in.
- Add the strawberry filling to the pie crust and spread out evenly.
- Let the pie set in the fridge for at least an hour before cutting.
To make oat Flour - pulse about a cup and a half of oats in your food processor, blender or nutri-bullet until it becomes a fine, flour like consistency. Measure out 1 cup.
To make strawberry Puree - After blending the crust, wipe out your food processor and toss in 4-6 strawberries (depending on size). Blend until the strawberries are a liquid puree.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 slices Serving Size: 1 pie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 281
*This post contains affiliate links.