Easy Vegan Strawberry Pie with Walnut-Oat Crust. This pie is super simple to prepare and, hands down, my favorite strawberry pie! Fresh strawberries piled high inside an amazing walnut-oat crust, this will be your new go to Spring/Summer pie!
Nothing beats a fresh, homemade strawberry pie!
Vegan Strawberry Pie with Walnut-Oat Crust will be your new go to strawberry pie! An irresistible walnut-oat crust is piled with fresh strawberries creating the perfect seasonal pie.
If you haven’t experienced a homemade strawberry pie, I suggest visiting your local strawberry stand ASAP! It’s absolutely worth it!
fun fact about strawberries
Did you know strawberries are a perennial?
That means if you plant strawberries now they will continue to come back and produce berries for up to 5 years.
In my experience, the first year can be discouraging because it will yield the least amount of strawberries. However, let the plants do their thing and they will yield more berries in the next few years.
Let’s Make a Vegan Strawberry Pie
to make the pie crust
Start by processing the walnuts in your food processor.
Next, add in the oat flour, salt, oil, and maple syrup and process until well combined. Then add the oats and process again until they’re roughly chopped.
Spread the crust out in your pie pan and gently press to form.
Bake at 350° for 10-15 min, or until the edge begins to darken. Set aside to cool.
prepare the filling
- Dissolve 2 full Tablespoons of cornstarch in ¼ cup cold water and set aside.
- Add 4-6 strawberries to your food processor and process until pureed. Then add the strawberry puree, ½ cup of apple juice, and 3 Tablespoons of turbinado sugar to a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until simmering. Pour in the cornstarch mix and whisk until it becomes a gel consistency. Set aside to cool.
- Hull and chop your strawberries. Place the strawberries in a large bowl and fold in the gel.
- Add the strawberry filling to your pie crust and spread out evenly.
- Place the pie in the fridge to set for at least 45 min.
For another pie-tastic recipe check out my Dutch Apple-Pear Pie!
See you there!
Easy Vegan, Gluten-Free Strawberry Pie with Walnut-Oat Crust. This pie is super simple to prepare and, hands down, my favorite strawberry pie! Piled high with fresh strawberries and an amazing walnut-oat crust, this will be your new go to summer pie!
30 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
Yields 1 whole pie
4.7 based on 3 review(s)
3/4 cup organic raw walnuts
1 cup oat flour, gluten-free if necessary (To make oat flour, see note)
1/4 teaspoon pink salt
1/4 cup refined coconut oil - melted
3 tablespoons organic maple syrup
3/4 cup rolled oats, gluten-free if necessary
2.5 pounds of organic strawberries
1/4 cup cold water
2 full Tablespoons organic cornstarch
1/2 cup organic apple juice
1/4 cup strawberry puree (I use 4-6 strawberries from the 2.5 pounds to make the puree)
3 Tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350° and grease your pie dish.
- Measure out the walnuts and add them to your food processor. Pulse until the walnuts are roughly chopped and no large pieces remain.
- Add in the oat flour, salt, oil, and maple syrup and pulse a few times until just combined.
- Now, add in your rolled oats and process until the oats are roughly chopped.
- Spoon the crust into your pie dish and with your fingers, gently spread and press it to fill out the dish. Be sure not to press too hard or it can cause the crust to stick.
- Bake at 350° for 10-15 min or until edges of crust begin to darken.
- Make the puree by pureeing 4-6 strawberries. (I wipe out my food processor and toss them in. Blend until the strawberries are a liquid puree)
- In a small bowl, mix the cold water and cornstarch until dissolved. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan add your pureed strawberries, apple juice and sugar and place over medium heat. Once simmering lower the heat and add in the cornstarch mix. Whisk until filling reaches a glaze/gel consistency. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Chop your strawberries for the pie and place them in a large bowl. (I like to cut smaller strawberries in half and larger berries in thirds)
- Once the filling has cooled to the touch (about 15 minutes), add it to your bowl of strawberries and gently fold in.
- Add half of the strawberry mix to the pie crust and spread out evenly. Spread the remaining strawberry mix on top.
- Let the pie set in the fridge for at least 45 min to an hour.
Oat Flour Note - pulse about a cup and a half of oats in your food processor, blender or nutri-bullet until it becomes a fine, flour like consistency. Measure out 1 cup.
*This post contains affiliate links.