Asian-inspired vegan lettuce wraps are packed with a lentil-walnut "umami" filling. Serve these gluten-free wraps with a side of rice for a quick and easy lunch or light dinner. Or enjoy them alone as a snack or appetizer.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy meal I’ve got the perfect recipe for you!
In addition to my chickpea salad, these lettuce wraps have been a life-saving, quick lunch! They’re super easy to bring together and ready in about 20 minutes. Plus, they’re delicious cold!
What's in vegan lettuce wraps?
Butter lettuce leaves are filled with a lentil-walnut mix and topped with shredded carrot and fresh scallions. then coated in an Asian-inspired sauce.
This recipe doesn’t use the typical peanut sauce. Instead, these vegan lettuce wraps are covered in a sweet/salty sesame sauce. Add your favorite hot sauce to the mix for a little kick.
Then, top these babies with toasted sesame seeds and you’ve got a satisfying light meal.
I’ve seriously been hooked on these things since the moment I tried them.
FUSS-FREE VEGAN COOKBOOK
Sam Turnbull, creator of the blog It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken, recently released her new cookbook— Fuss-Free Vegan: 101 Everyday Comfort Food Favorites, Veganized! There are 101 amazing recipes inside this book and they ALL live up to the name 'Fuss-Free'!
The Oh Mommy Umami Lettuce Wraps won me over instantly. They’re quick, easy, and delicious and I always have the ingredients on hand!
Sam was kind enough to allow me to share the recipe with you guys! So, be sure to grab yourself a copy of her book and give her other awesome recipes a try as well!
What other recipes are in the book?
My daughter and I looked through the book together and we can't wait to try these recipes next--
- Heavenly French Toast
- Sensational Smoky Tofu & Avocado Benedict
- The Vegan Mac & Cheese That All Cheese Lovers Adore
- Better Than Take-out Veggie Pad Thai
- Very Yummy Heart of Palm Cakes
- Smoky Tomato Basil Cream Soup
- Crispy Caramel Rice Squares
- Silky Chocolate Fudge
Honestly, I think I could devour everything in this book!
What else is in the book?
'Fuss-Free Vegan' includes more than just easy-to-follow recipes. Sam has also included a list of vegan pantry staples, go-to kitchen tools, measurement conversions, and my favorite, a menu plan section.
Now, let's make some vegan lettuce wraps!
AND DON'T FORGET TO GRAB YOURSELF A COPY OF FUSS-FREE VEGAN!
• • •
We'd love to hear from you!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a 5-star rating in the recipe card and share your thoughts in the comments below. Also, if you snap a photo be sure to share it with us! We love to see your creations! You can find us on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram.
For the Sauce
- ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup or agave
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce, optional
For the Lentils
- 1 teaspoon light oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 head of butter or iceberg lettuce, leaves separated but kept whole
- 1 medium carrot, grated or cut into match sticks
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
For the Sauce
- In a small bowl mix the ingredients together and set aside.
For the Lentils
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the garlic, onion and ginger and sauté for about 5 minute, until the onions softens and begins to brown.
- Stir in the lentils then the vegetable broth. Turn the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes, until all the broth is absorbed and the lentils are cooked. Stir in the walnuts and about half of the sauce mixture, or to taste.
- Take a leaf of lettuce, fill it with the lentil walnut mixture, top with carrot, green onions, and sesame seeds and spoon as much sauce as desired over it all. Fold it like a taco and munch away!
"Excerpted from Fuss Free Vegan: 101 Everyday Comfort Food Favorites, Veganized. Copyright © 2017 Samantha Turnbull. Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.”
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 servings Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 1060mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 7gSugar: 11gProtein: 10g
**Nutritional info is provided as an estimate based on the ingredients I used and for convenience and as a courtesy only.**