I have a crazy love for lemons and anything lemon scented. It began when I was pregnant with my daughter. The only thing to keep back my nausea was to breathe in the fresh scent of lemons!
Since then, I’ve had an undeniable fondness of lemons, to the point I douse myself in them –literally. My soaps are all naturally lemon scented and I even use lemon juice as deodorant. (which I’ve found works better!)
As you can see, my love for lemons is serious!
Let’s get back to these addicting Soft, Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies. I say addicting because in the last week I’ve made 3 batches and not one batch survived more than 36 hours.
Soft, Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
If you’re also fond of all things lemon, you’ll love these cookies!
They’re a quick and easy treat to prepare. Only a few simple steps between you and the most irresistible lemon cookie!
- Combine your dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl cream the coconut sugar and oil, then whisk in the remaining wet ingredients.
- With a wooden spoon, mix the dry ingredients into the wet until fully incorporated.
- Roll the cookie dough into balls, and gently flatten on your pan, then bake.
So, let’s get baking!
The trick to achieving melt-in-your-mouth lemon poppy seed cookies is to only bake them for 8 minutes. This allows the cookies to bake just enough time to remain soft and tender, without under cooking.
They will stay soft and fresh for up to 7 days in an airtight container.
For more great cookie recipes check out my
Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies are soft cookies bursting with fresh lemon flavor!
15 minPrep Time
8 minCook Time
23 minTotal Time
Yields 12-16 with cookie scoop • 24-28 with Tablespoon
5 based on 2 review(s)
1 and 3/4 cup organic unbleached all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
A pinch of salt
1/3 cup refined coconut oil, softened/melted
1/2 cup coconut sugar*
1/4 cup organic lemon juice, fresh squeezed
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
zest of 1 lemon or 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl: flour, baking soda, baking powder, poppy seeds and salt.
- In a separate, larger bowl, cream together the sugar and oil. Then mix in the remaining wet ingredients.
- Pour half of the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet and mix in.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until fully combined. The dough should be slightly sticky after mixing.
- Gather the cookie dough using a cookie scoop and place on the baking sheet. (OR Scoop out 1 Tablespoon of dough and roll it into a ball. If it's too sticky to handle, lightly dust your hands with flour.)
- Gently flatten the dough with the palm of your hand, or the bottom of a cup. Cookies should still be slightly thick (a little over 1/4 inch). They will spread a bit and you want to keep a soft center.
- Bake at 350ºF for 8-10 min.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 5 min, then transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Cookies will stay fresh in an airtight container for up to a week.
Coconut Sugar Note: Some coconut sugars leave dark sugar spots in the cookies. To avoid this, blend the coconut sugar in a blender until it becomes a fine-powdered coconut sugar. This will even out the color of the cookies. Measure the sugar after blending.