A vegan Apple-Walnut Chickpea Salad Sandwich that tastes like no other! It’s made with an oil-free tahini dressing, gluten-free and ready in under 15 minutes. Prep the salad ahead of time for a quick, grab-and-go, healthy lunch.
Summer has shown it’s hot self once again, which has me searching for easy, oven-less meals. I mean who wants to turn their oven on when its 100ºF outside!? No thanks! Since I’m on oven strike 🙅, I’ve been eating tons of fruit, but today I wanted something more…
Like a sandwich…
Bring in the Apple-Walnut Chickpea Salad Sandwich!
Sandwich craving cured!
This apple-walnut chickpea salad sandwich has it all… Sweetness and moisture from the apple. A soft crunch from the walnuts, celery and onion. And the lemon tahini dressing adds a touch of tanginess. 😋
How To Make Apple-Walnut Chickpea Salad
To use dried chickpeas, you only need to cook about 1/2 cup of beans, but making extra means more delicious chickpea recipes can be made.
Toss those extra chickpeas in your food processor with tahini, lemon juice and seasonings to make my ultimate hummus. Now, slather some of that creamy hummus on a few pieces of toast to make my hummus avocado toast and you’ve got yourself another oven-less lunch.
Serves 3-4 sandwiches
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
5 based on 1 review(s)
1 1/2 cups chickpeas
2 Tablespoons onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup celery, finely chopped (about 1 celery rib)
1/2 cup organic apple, diced (about 1 small apple)
2 Tablespoons walnuts, chopped
4 full teaspoons tahini
3 Tablespoons non-dairy milk
2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
Pink salt to taste, I use about 1/4 teaspoon
- In a large bowl mash the chickpeas. I try not to leave any whole chickpeas, but halves are perfectly fine.
- Mix in the chopped onion, celery, walnuts and diced apple.
- In a small bowl whisk the dressing ingredients together.
- Using a spatula, pour the dressing into the chickpea mix.
- Fold in the dressing until completely combined. if the salad is a tad dry, add a splash more of non-dairy milk.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 min. Or if your impatient, like me, skip the chilling and eat it right away.
- Add the chickpea salad to your favorite toasted bread and top with avocado, tomato, salt and pepper.